Sunday, 17 November 2013

Final Reflections

This has to be the only module that ended too fast for me. I suspect the 13 weeks lesson was barely enough to cover what truly constitutes communication, even though we certainly did cover the basics. 

In contrast to the numerous theoretical lectures, the ideas and skills that were exchanged during lessons was extremely valuable because it has real world application. For instance, I suspect that the resume writing, job interview and presentation skills would be beneficial especially when we are about to enter the working world. More ever, because of the constant feedback that was given during class, I was able to improve myself and learn from my mistakes. 

One particular aspect of this module that I enjoyed was the mocked interview even though it spanned only two lessons. I always have a phobia of interviews because I was clueless about how it works. However, those lessons help me realise how irrational my fears were. I was able to see both the interviewer’s and interviewee’s point of view during the mock interview and as such, I believe those lessons would help me prepare well for an actual interview.

I selected this module to learn how to communicate effectively, specifically on improving my presentation skills. After going through 2 presentations and numerous dry runs, the take home message was to be prepared before each presentation and to be aware of the body language during the presentation itself. While admittedly it was this part of the module that was the most time consuming, but I can confidently say that my presentation skills (the chunking part and the voice cracking part) have improved because of these opportunities to practise what has been taught.

Finally, I would thank Dr Radihka for being such an enthusiastic and encouraging teacher who patiently answers all of our questions, as well as everyone from my peer teaching and proposal group for making this module such an enjoyable one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment